Diversity & Inclusion: Using Film to Create Change
‘Diversity is being invited to the party. Inclusion is choosing the music….’.
As content creators we have a moral and business objective to encourage accurate reporting on race, religion, ethnic, class, disability , gender and sexual identity issues. Here at Purple Door Media, we promote diversity and inclusion through our teams, our organisation, our industry, our storytelling, our creative work and our platforms and partnerships. We need to amplify the voices historically excluded from the media, to create exceptional experiences that better serve our audiences.
Whether you want to make a film specifically about diversity and inclusion or you want to tell a story in the right way, it’s important to work with a video production company that shares your values.
A film is the equivalent to holding a mirror up to your organisation, highlighting your vision, approach and commitment to diversity and inclusion, and the steps you’re making towards these.
Things to consider:
- Consultation. Including the right people in the development of the film’s narrative will ensure you represent individuals and groups in the right way. Don’t make assumptions.
- Choose and consider your words carefully. Ensure there’s no unconscious bias.
- On-screen presence. We cannot be what we cannot see. Represent the reality of your organisation and ensure all voices are heard.
- Is there an innovative project you could highlight? Outreach work, internal initiatives or celebrations?
- Captions and subtitles - You may wish to include these to make your film more accessible.
If your video is solely about diversity and diversity, you may also want to include the following:
- Your objectives. How you want to bridge diversity divides.
- Your initiatives and accomplishments to date.
- How people benefit from diversity and inclusion in your organisation.
If you share our values and would like to make a film, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07811 351 309.